Friday, February 22, 2008

taking a vote.

Last Sunday, we went to spend the afternoon with Miguel's mom and family after church. Its our typical thing to do each Sunday. For a while now, Miguel's eyes have been burning or itching or in other words being bothersome. We've mostly attributed it to the fact that he is working around cement dust and sweating, etc. At one point in the afternoon, Miguel called me over to show me something. To me it looked like a fat tapeworm in a jar of water. I was a little grossed out by it, and asked what it was. It turns out to be part of Miguel's umbelical cord from when he was a baby. Ok so it wasn't a lock of hair from his first haircut, but it certainly was a weird kind of momentum. However, to my dismay, it turns out not to have the sentimental value to explain why Miguel's mom would ever keep such a thing tucked away in her closet for the past 24 years. In fact, Miguel proceded to wash his face with the water that the cord was soaking in. I have to admit that I was more than a little grossed out. Angelita, Miguel's mom, said that you save it for just that reason....in case the child one day gets an eye infection, the umbelical cord soaked in water is a sure cure. Of course she expects me to do the same with our children's cords. So what's your vote? Save the cord when baby arrives or not?

By the way, Miguel's eyes do feel better, and he says he is going to do one more rinse with it. :)

8 comments:

Noella said...

Yikes! We vote "nay". Running to the toilet, now...thanks for the cultural insight! :-)

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh maaan.........that's a first! I have to stand by Noella's vote. I think I'll just send you some visine. That helps me!
Gosh, Jennie, you never know what you're going to write! :-) makes life exciting......!!!

C.A.F. said...

I vote "yay" Miguel! I did some research and he's right. I read about how Doctors in South Korea started to do it and it works every time.

"An inject Eye drops made from a serum from the human umbilical cord are an effective and safe treatment for severe dry eye"

Hold onto the jar Miguel. Hold on to the jar.

Ben and Melissa said...

I say stick with the breast milk Jen. Did you know there is antibiotics in it? A nurse told us to use it on any cut or infected eye and it would cure it. Sure enough maddie had a red goopy looking eye and it was cured the next day! Even though it still seems gross I think I would take the milk over the fermented 24yr old cord:)

Ben and Melissa said...

so I am wondering, does it smell?
-mel

Unknown said...

does it have to be your own cord to be effective? c's research makes it seems like it could be from anyone, in which case you could save the cord, make the serum, and sell it as a money maker. save some breast milk while you're at it. that stuff sounds good too.

Jennie and Miguel Morel said...

Hey Melissa thanks for the breast milk tip...I just told Miguel about it and he was all...."of course, my mom did that, and it works every time!" You never know what the campesinos really know. I guess thats why they survive so well where they live generation after generation.

Anonymous said...

ha- it was actually ben who left the comment about the milk. He thought it was really cool and likes to share it with people!