Saturday, January 12, 2008

it pays to be pregnant in this country.

For years, I've noticed that in bank and super market parking lots there are special parking spaces marked off specifically for pregnant women. In fact, there doesn't even seem to exist parking spots marked off for the handicapped. Perhaps its because there are few handicaps in this country that drive, or own cars, or that get out and about. But one thing is for sure, I've been taking advantage of those special parking spots these days and its been great!

I had another funny experience the other day when I was in migracion in Santo Domingo trying to get my residency papers finalized. It was turning out to be another futile morning down there, until I mentioned that I was pregnant and making the 4.5 hour trip back down to the capital the next day was out of the question. As soon as I mentioned the word pregnant, you should have seen the people jump to their feet. I was ushered to a private office to get free fotocopies of my paperwork. I was allowed to pay the fees without having an authorized signature. (Which by the way, has always been the hang up as the one man who can authorize with his signature never shows up for work)! And in another 20 working days, I should have my residency ID card in hand....Si Dios quiere.

2 comments:

Ben and Melissa said...

hey jennie, you should go walking around the tourist area and see if you can score some free gifts like what happened to me when I was there! Its neat how they pay such special attention to pregnant ladies! Good to hear you are almost there with your residency!
Love,
Melissa

Alexia & Jeffrey said...

and dominican culture pays off. yea!